A lot of people think that with the technology these days that just anyone can mix and master their own projects from home without hiring a professional company to do the work for them. It is true that someone can mix and master and still come out with a nice but there are some disadvantages from not using a company.
Here are the Pros of why should do your own mixing and mastering
• The first reason is obvious – You can save a lot of money by performing your own mixing and mastering services and dedicated those funds to other areas, like marketing or promotion, which will also be high-cost projects to launch.
• You learn to refine your mixing and professional mixing and mastering mastering skills and be able to offer your own mixing and mastering services. Having a side job while you are trying to make it in the music industry is an absolute must. If you can turn your craft into dollar signs, you have a better chance at lasting in the music industry.
• You can take as much time as you like and don’t have to be worried about staying on budget. There no amount of hours that you are limited to.
Here are the Cons of why you shouldn’t do your own mixing and mastering
• You never know if you are making edits that might harm the track in a way that can’t be fixed, even by a professional
• It takes a lot of time and effort to learn how to mix and master. If your trying to save money by picking up this craft and don’t plan on spending much time learning it, I would suggest not even trying. It takes years of dedication and ear training to be able to produce that industry quality sound.
• Professionals succeed in this business because they have experience. This is what they do on a regular basis, day in and day out. They have dedicated their lives to this craft and will have a much better chance at making your song sound like a hit. Not to say that beginners shouldn’t try but industry professionals do this for a living and I would put my money on someone who has 10 years in the game rather than a newcomer.
It’s really up to you whether you want to take the chance of your song not sounding like it could of if you were to of used an industry professional. Seriously think about your future when you are deciding where you are going to try to save money. If you want a quality sounding project, I would seriously consider hiring a professional.